October 31, 2011

How to make the most of your Voffice (mobile Van-Office) or Bed-Office, & the best laptop bed-desk

How'd you like to have this view from your office?


When I first decided to sell my house and buy a campervan to live in for a year, I bought and tested out quite a few laptop and bed-desks. None of the designs really worked. I always ended up with aching shoulders from the bad ergonomics.

Then one day I wanted to check some email in a hurry and without thinking too much I just grabbed my yoga bolster which was lying on my bed, and popped my laptop on that. After that, I turfed out all the expensive single-function laptop-desks, and was able to use my mac in complete comfort, leaning back in my cushions. There was plenty of room on the bolster to use a mouse, and the smooth fabric made an ideal mouse-mat.

When I finally found and bought my current little house in Terrigal, I thought I'd keep the van and use it as a mobile office. Seemed like it would be great to drive off to the beach for the day and work in the back. But my house is so comfy and airy, that for a year the Van just got used to go to the shops and the gym and the occasional trip to Sydney.

So I've bought a little Yaris instead and am ready to hand the van over to someone new. (See here for details and pics if you're interested in buying it.)

Here's a little video I made to demonstrate how to make the most of a Voffice (Van-office) or Boffice (Bed-office), for those who appreciate the value of living comfortably in a small space:











Bookmark and Share

No comments: